Church Bells

 




Church, église, kerk, or iglesia...are the same place around the world.

Working at an elementary school for the past 7 years I have learned that many children do not know what a church is. Only 22 % of Americans polled in 2021 attended church. 31% said that they had never attended a church. Of my student body I would say that only 31% have ever attended a church.  Many of the 2nd graders can not read the word Church at the beginning of the year and few know what it is. In Europe less than 5% are reported to attend church. The bells are ringing, but no one is listening.
The Bell of St. Luke's in Redding


Every Sunday we begin our service with the call to worship of the church bell at St. Luke's. So few people answer the call, but there was a time in history when many people would come when the church bells rang. in 604 Pope Sabastian blessed the ringing of the first official bells in Europe. The tradition in Europe remains and many church bells ring throughout the continent. Sadly, few are answered there either.

World Wide Musing

Since 2020 I  have been doing all of my travels via YouTube and Amazon Prime. I had gotten my passport 3 years ago and planned to go to France last summer. Instead I stayed in California and worked at the school. My YouTube travels took a U-Turn when I discovered the Chateau Diaries a year ago. As I had been studying French on my phone app it was fun to try and translate the French workers and "Mummy" who speak French on the Vlog. 

After a year I have watched all the programs on YouTube and become a Patron to get extra Vlogs and information about France and the life in a Chateau. During this process I have regained some of my love for historic fabric and crafts. I have uncluttered my own closet and living space. Most of all I have expanded my world view.

In one episode, Stephanie is installing a bed crown that they found at the brocante or flea market in France. The fabric she describes in Toile de Jouy. Which means a cloth made in the town of Jouy. She also explains that the fabric is titled,  "Friendship has nothing to fear from time." 

This YouTube station is linked to The Pethericks who have a Chateau and now are restoring a Convent. There are so many churches tucked in the woods of the Chateau of France or attached as at the Convent. In the recent episode of The Petericks  there is a church bell being rung for the hour in a neighboring street. This fascinates me. Our bells ring on Sunday and sometimes at a funeral. In Chico they rang the bells when our Priest was consecrated to a Bishop. In Europe the church bells ring every hour and some of them at the 1/4 hour.

The Pethericks Remodeling a Convent in France

Sadly, whether in Europe or America there are few people who understand that these bells are a call to worship. A call to pray even where you are standing. Churches in England are now Pubs or Night Clubs. In Chico, California our Anglican sister church was reclaimed and returned from being a Chinese restaurant.

I do not know what the answer will be. I do know that when I hear church bells wherever I am...I will pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Joy in the Wind

Laetare or Rose Sunday 2024

January 2024-Year to Heal Hurting Hearts